Practical SEO tips that are relevant in today’s day and age
Before we decode the labyrinth that is online ranking/ organic- inorganic/ PPC’s/ CPM/ CPC and what not, lets first begin with the basics and understand what the true meaning and relevance of Search Engine Optimisation is all about.
Definition of SEO
The definition of Search engine optimization (SEO) is, simply put,a guideline for websites or blog owners to optimize their web sites for search engines. When we say optimize we mean rearranging or rewriting the data (or code) in order to improve the efficiency of retrieval/ processing of the site. The code or the software that goes into the website is done such that there is significant improvement in search engine rankings.
Needless to say that an improved ranking also means more traffic to your site and in turn more outreach and therefore more business.
However, this definition is a rather simplistic, plaid and retro way of understanding SEO. Today, the times have changed and how! Yes, it is a more complex and methodological process, one that cannot just be implemented overnight. Though, in the hands of a gifted digital agency, you should be able to navigate your online business outstandingly well.
Why SEO the site?
In addition to getting your site found, a good SEO strategy has excellent implications that go on to make your site a success. Implementing SEO correctly has resulted in faster navigation, better quality and a more user- friendly site experience.
The fact that there are over a billion websites in the world today. Having established the importance of SEO, let’s explore some tips that are relevant in the times today.
Pick one keyword
When you begin to SEO the site, it’s really not necessary to SEO everything. Rather focus on one keyword and make sure that you’re making that keyword the hero of the site. However, that also does not mean you practise minimalism, rather the keyword must feature on all the essentials of the site such as the titles, headings, and the rest of the content through the site.
Remember that the smarter way you insert those keywords the better your chance of appearing in the first few search suggestions. It is not uncommon knowledge that most users tend to pick from among the first five suggestions that appear in the results page. Having said that, do you hear a humming sound somewhere? Why, it must be the Google Hummingbird.
The Hummingbird algorithm by Google has definitely made life easier and developers and digital strategists can now collectively have a sigh of relief. Now it is no longer necessary to cram pages with keywords rather the algorithm automatically computes what the page content and relevance is all about. So the spotlight is on smart placement of keywords and relevant contextual information.
Meta-tags – To use or not to use
Once considered the holy grail of a SEO friendly site, meta tags were the quick go to’s for any self respecting web developer. Not so anymore, not entirely anyways. Meta tag keywords are not as significant as they were in the days yonder and if you do over stuff your site with them; you’ll risk the chance of being banned or being declared as a spam site. Needless to say you don’t want either.
Again, pay a little heed here and don’t forget the Meta descriptions. Meta descriptions are basically the small snippets of info/ content that is usually seen in search results. Let’s understand this with an example, say somebody searches for Nail Varnishes fewer than 100 rupees, you’ll probably end up with the usual lengthy search results page.Look a bit closely and you’ll realise that there’s always a bit of information mentioned underneath the search results websites. This is the Meta description.
Meta descriptions are an important conversion feature. They may not be essential when you consider ranking algorithms, but when you take into account that the user reads through the snippets and decides whether to click or not, you’ll then appreciate the importance of Meta descriptions.
Use Internal links for a stronger SEO
Internal linking, as the name suggests, is ways of creating links within your website that connect (link) one page to another page on the website. It can be compared to a breadcrumb methodology wherein every page has relevant and easy to find links that connect the user to other links/ pages on the website.
Internal linking can also connect your site to your blog, to your Twitter page or to any other page on the site that maybe considered relevant for the user. Beware though; the usage of internal links should be organic, misuse, can be a costly affair.
The difference is almost immediate and one can actually see that it creates a more organised structure that is SEO friendly and actually helps in site navigation while clearly defining the site structure and order of importance.
To get started, a typical website will take 14 weeks from minimum from inception to the delivery stage. It could take much longer depending on your requirements. Discuss with your website development team to get an idea about the delivery date. Actively research the market and the best service provider to get it done professionally. Website development is one of the crucial aspects of your business on which you shouldn’t compromise. Ensure that you get regular updates from your development team to make sure everything is executed as per the schedule. There are chances that conflicts might arise which may compromise the overall development process, you should be prepared to tackle the situation and get things done in a smooth manner.
Breadcrumbs are nothing but a secondary navigation system that can be used to learn about the user’s location on a particular website. Visitors can get a better idea about the webpage if they have an overview of the hierarchy on the website. They serve as an effective visual aid that represents the location of a user within the website. It is not a complex mechanism on websites and will up only a line on your website. One of the main advantages of breadcrumbs is that they do not have any negative impact on your website in terms of content overload. If you have a large number of web pages piled up on your site, you must incorporate breadcrumbs into your site.
Google Sandbox is a common term that is used to explain the lower rankings of new websites in the Google search results. The function of Google sandbox is to provide results that are highly relevant to the users. Filtering out new websites and constantly monitoring them helps the search engine to provide relevant results. Moreover, it is difficult to say how long a website will be inside the sandbox as it primarily depends on the types of keywords it will be competing against. If your website has high-quality and relevant content, then the Google sandbox shouldn’t be a huge problem for you. The ultimate aim should be to optimize the website to stand out from the crowd.
Accelerated Mobile Pages is an open-source project that is designed to optimize faster mobile pages. To break it down into simpler terms, it is making a page loading faster that is already optimized to be mobile-friendly. You have to use a streamlined version of CSS if you are opting for accelerated mobile pages. The website must be validated properly on a regular basis to ensure that they work properly. If you are looking to offer a better user experience, incorporate custom fonts into it and declare the proper height & weight of the page to avoid quirky-loading images. Accelerated mobile pages can significantly reduce the overall bounce rate on your website and improve conversion rates for your business.
SEO marketing is the process of increasing both the quality and quantity of website traffic. All this results in increasing the exposure of the business to the right target audience. SEO is that one marketing tool that holds the potential to pay dividends over time continuously. If you have content that is strong and has every reason to rank at the top, you need not invest in other marketing tools and techniques to increase the visibility of your website. It is because of this that SEO marketing plays a pivotal role in growing your business. Therefore, optimizing your site in a manner that shows up within the top search results is critical.
How good your website is has a lot to do with the business you generate at the end of the day. Here is why website development is important.
- The first impression of your business is the website. If your website is outdated, the impression of the business left behind is definitely not what you’d want.
- By looking at how well the website is developed, the customers get a fair idea of how they would be treated by the business. If the website is not worked upon well, they tend to believe that the business won’t take efforts in catering to the requirements of the customers as well.
- A well-designed website enables the audience to build trust with the business.
- A poorly designed website has an adverse impact on Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
In order to make it into the list of good websites, there are a couple of things that one needs to take note of.
- A good website doesn’t take much time to load.
- A website that is trustworthy – both in terms of content as well as technicalities is the most sought after.
- The website should be free of bugs.
- Make sure that your website caters to a specific goal/objective.
- For a website to reach out to the maximum, it is important to understand the target audience in-depth, right from what they need to what other websites do they use.
- Making use of the right words, font and style always help.
There is no specific best SEO tool, but here is a list of SEO tools that all the experts are using in 2021.
- Ahrefs – SEO keyword tool
- Google Search Console
- SEMRush – Marketing tools for SEO
- KWFinder – SEO keyword tool
- MOZ Pro – Complete SEO software
- Ubersuggest – Keyword Tracking tool
- Answer the Public – Keyword association tool
- Woorank – SEO Ranking Tool
- Majestic – Marketing tool for SEO
- Google Trends – SEO trends checking tool
- SEO Quake – Free SEO audit tool
- Siteliner – SEO analytics tool
- Fat Rank – SEO ranking tool
- Screaming Frog – SEO audit and insights tool
- Serpstat – One stop SEO platform
There are several ways to increase and divert traffic to your website. Listed are a few that you might be interested in.
- Invest in some paid advertising that will guarantee you results.
- Open Social Media accounts and post attractive content regularly.
- Use attractive titles that make browsers want to open the link.
- Review and up your on page SEO game.
- Target long tail keywords with colloquialisms for each customer location.
- Indulge in some guest blogging that will build external links
- Strengthen internal linking to subtly encourage more customer interaction.
- Make your site responsive to be accessible on all devices.
- Improve site loading speed to reduce abandonments.
- If you are an E-Commerce site, post clear and attractive product images.
SEO is one of the most effective and inexpensive ways to boost traffic to your site. It can open the gateway to new customer pools, even on a global scale. The top SEO trends of 2021 are,
- Core web vitals : Loading, Interactivity and Visual Stability
- Google’s BERT: Using Machine learning and natural language processing for intent matching.
- Keyword research: To identify high ranking keywords.
- Original content: Value adding content that attracts traffic organically.
- Voice search: Voice activated searches that include colloquialisms in global languages.
- Artificial intelligence: Using AI to personalise the customer journey.
- Video marketing: For visitors to better relate to the brand with audio visual stimulation.
- Featured snippets: Elevate reputation of the business with features snippets on Google.
- Influencer SEO: Partner with social media influencers to get their following as customers.
- EAT & Branded SEO: Build expertise, authority and trust by building brand awareness.
For anyone who wants to implement digital marketing for their business, Search Engine Optimisation or SEO as it is commonly known should be the first priority. It is more than the misconception of just adding keywords to your content. When done right, SEO can do the following for you.
- Send quality traffic your way.
- Boost the business reputation
- Get results with inexpensive methods
- Increases customer engagement with the site
- Help you understand your customers
- Help you beat the competition
- Continuously evaluate and boost performance of the site